Library History

Located atop Feather Hill in the heart of the hamlet, the library had its beginning in 1797 when there were no novels; “history, biography and solid reading were the order of the day.” The 1891 brick building has been home to the library since 1928, after Edna Cahoon Booth purchased it from the Southold Savings Bank. An addition was completed in 1991.

The library staff fosters the love of reading and of exploring new ideas through a wide range of mediums which include books, program offerings for all ages, and top-notch databases to name a few.

Servicing the hamlets of Southold and Peconic, the library will continue to grow and adapt as the world constantly changes. We welcome all ages to join us!